Saturday, May 16, 2009

Starting a Business? Don't make the same mistakes I did!

by Nathan Reis

If you have ever thought about starting a business, suck it up, swallow your pride, and learn from me! While starting my latest company Pardigm Direct, I have made more mistakes before the age of 30 than most people do in a business lifetime. Entrepreneurs like me call these things mistakes, others tend to call it wisdom.

You will hear me use the title "Entrepreneur" many times throughout my blog, becasue I fear very few people actually know what that term really means. I promise you it doesn't mean business owner, boss, or CEO. It means, "What in the hell was I thinking putting myself through all of this"... I am a serial entrepreneur, addicted to the excitement of just seeing if I can do it.

I learned early on that I have a very high curiosity and more importantly a risk tolerance for the unknown. I started my career at the age of 22 with a reckless renegade approach and it paid off. I could go out and sell, do, and say, whatever I wanted and I seemed to be invincible. I was in sales. This attitude took me straight to the top of the sales rankings and there was no looking back. I didn't make a lot of friends, but I sure made a lot of money. I made my first $1MM in 1 year by the time I was 25 years old and I just kept thinking, "Man, I don't know what the fuss is... This makin' money thing is easy."

Then the day came when I said to myself, "If I'm making $1MM a year, they (the company) must be making $5MM a year." This is the day I started learning again. The day the company wasn't there to feed to my strengths and build around my weaknesses. This was beginning of a series of mistakes that now make me infinitely wiser than when I was 25 and has formed me into a great entrepreneur. I promise, this education cost me far more than tuition did at the University of Wisconsin.

There are 4 major lessons I learned in "Entrepreneur School". Each of these topics will have an entire blog dedicated to them, but the here are topics I hope you can soak up before diving in the deep end. 1. I'm no longer a sales guy. 2. Plan to lose and act bankrupt. 3. Slow down. 4. Technology is better than people.

Oh yeah, and there should be a rule that everyone who has ever had a job, thought about starting a company, or even ever had a dream, should be required to read and re-read the E-Myth Revisited. For all of you who have heard about that book before and not read it, the "E" doesn't stand for ecommerce, it represents the entrepreneur. It is a fantastic insight about what it really takes to be a successful entrepreneur. If truly digested, after this read, you may look at your boss in a little diffrent light. In fact I'd be surprised if you didn't form a little admiration for that guy you hate so bad!

2 comments:

  1. Nate... love it. Check out Mark Cuban's recent blog posts on Success & Motivation (and his examples of "learning the hard way") at:

    http://blogmaverick.com/2009/05/13/success-motivation/

    Keep the posts coming... !

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny I feel all your story's constantly appear in front of me down this path. Every time you say Bridges this is going to happen and then this and then this.. IT DOES> So WTF was I thinking.. Well at least I know if I continue to listen to you the mistakes seem to be less. Good stuff in your writing my fiend ... good stuff...

    ReplyDelete